Friday, July 6, 2007

Job Satisfaction

I have a friend who works in this top class company in Colombo which serves mostly foreign clients. In our gatherings we used to tease her about her company and its culture. Because some of their employees we know have a different type of social life within the company. They have one partner at home and another partner at office. This office partners of them regularly changes. I know its a normal habit in most of the offices. And she always argue with us saying its a good company to work with a respect. Day before yesterday i received a mail from her. I felt quite sad after reading that.

With her mail there was a photograph of her and couple of other friends. They were wearing very nice party dresses. Those were short dresses , but not micro mini and decent enough to cover what is required. At the end of the mail there was another photograph. Actually it was the same photograph edited by some one. It contained some, i would say not proper language to describe the legs of them and some other rubbish too. All this time my friend was quite happy at work. But suddenly this has made her very depressed and frustrated. I started thinking. Compared to the rate the photos are editing and uploading in to the internet today and compared to most other things this is a very small incident. But still irrespective of all the world class facilities provided by her organisation , she has lost her satisfaction at work. I know definitely it impact her work. She told me that its very sad that another mate who work in the next desk did it using the company email. I know incidents in some other companies where male officers have troubled seriously to female employees. But it was always said that "You know its guys. Its a joke. You should be able to bear those. You don't have patience". Even though i felt very sorry for my friend who deeply suffered due to this , i knew in such a company no one will be bothered to even listen to her. I told her , if its my company i would definitely do something. But this is not something i can help officially. All i could do is to console her.

But next day i got a call from her. She talks in an extremely enthusiastic encouraging tone as usual. I said I'm happy to hear you like this. Then she told me one of the most strange things i heard after some time. They have reported it to their company management. Management has conducted very strict deciplinary action towards the case , issued a warning letter and filed it in his personal file of that particular employee who edited the pic and distributed it. They have warned him its the last chance and if he says a single bad word to anyone works there, he'll be kick out from the company. He was ordered to apologise from all the girls in the picture. And company has sent a mail to all the employees of the office saying if similar action happens again , who ever who does that will immediately suspended. Everyone regained their places which deserved to them.

It was such a simple incident. But i saw how it affected people. It was amazing how that management solve it. I never expected that from a company which has a culture closer to American or European. But now i feel that this is what you call real decipline. Not to limit the freedom of people. But to respect them and protect them. Its wonderful. May this be a tribute to that management team.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah that is true. When we look at the western culture we do not take in the full picture. Rather we take in only parts of it. It is really difficult to judge a culture while living in our own. I suppose "Walk a mile in another's shoes" apply here.

Anonymous said...

If they wear mini gowns , whast wrong when others comment about their legs? They wear short to get the attention of others by showing legs. So what? he he

Jack Point said...

this is only to be expected in any mutinational. They have strict rules governing employee conduct, harassment, bullying etc.

Just go to the website of any major mutinational and read their policies. If they dont adhere employees can complain and take action in court and the press will have a field day.

It is only in local companies that people can get away with anything.

Anonymous said...

I do agree with all the comments except for Mr. Rocky's. I do not know much about fashion or how girls feel about it. But for sure i know about my friend. She is pretty enough get anyone's attention. No need to show the legs and get popular. And for a fact i don't think we have a right to insult people.

I agree with Mr/Ms jackpoint. I have worked in couple of local organisations. There they belive that what ever happends you should not complain. If you complain its not right. If you complain that means you don't respect your superiors. When i read your comment i remembered some of those incidents i have seen in those offices. Now iam bit stuck with work. I will write about them in another post.

Anonymous said...

Rocky, girls do not wear short dresses to attract attention. They do it for variety of reasons. One of which, perhaps the biggest, is to look good in current fashion trends.


I think men should have a lesson in female philosophy.
Women do not dress to impress men.

“Women dress for other women and undress for men”.

David Blacker said...

"“Women dress for other women and undress for men”."

Gotta remember that one, Mia!

But I don't think you can say women don't dress to attract attention. Some do, some don't. So it's hard to say who's doing what and why. You can be fashionable without showing off your legs, but if you do (and I admit I like legs) you gotta accept you'll attract male attention.

That said, a woman has the right to wear whatever she likes, and men shouldn't take a short dress as an invitation.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if ‘attract attention’ is the right terminology here, David

To ‘stand out’, ‘out shine’ the other, perhaps.

Personally speaking, I dress for the latter: to ‘out shine’ (other women). I would hate to be seen wearing an outfit as someone else at a formal occasion.
If you have a GF/wife you'll know what I am on about. : )

No argument about legs. Men will salivate over exposed female legs.

I totally agree with your last para. Some men assume short, low cut dresses are an invitation. Which is totally wrong.

David Blacker said...

Attract, outshine, whatever. But the point is why? Is it just for the sake of it, or is it to also look good to men? I don't think you can discount the latter as a valid reason.

"If you have a GF/wife you'll know what I am on about. : )"

I've got both, so I do know what you mean:)

Anonymous said...

Hmm… you got me thinking.

“Is it just for the sake of it, or is it to also look good to men?”

I don’t think there is a simple answer to the above. The answer is more complex, somewhat like women. : )

Inherent habits perhaps.I think most women don’t like to blend in.

As soon as we (woman) are handed an invitation (or verbal invite) the first thought that enters our mind is “what am I going to wear” even before we check the calendar to see if we are free on the day.

Sure, I can’t argue the fact every woman likes to look sexy and will appreciate an admiring glance from the opposite sex. To assume that is the primary motive is wrong.



“I've got both, so I do know what you mean:”

I can see you like to live dangerously. : )

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the fact women dress for women. Not even women. Men also dress well. (some men). But they dress well for women too. I think people feel good about them selves when they dress well.