Sunday, June 3, 2007

Most Critical Problem in SriLanka

What do you think the most vital problem in Sri Lanka these days?

Is it War? Corruption? Abductions? Poverty? Cost of living? Well… when I read the news papers & listen to radio these days it seems that none of the above is “THE” problem of Sri Lankans. It is Lasith Malinga’s hair. There are so many conversations, arguments, insults on this talented boy’s hair style.

What do you think? I felt like analyzing who are these people who made it their favorite topic? First category is quite surprisingly a few Sri Lankans who are migrated to other countries, doing small super market & petrol shed jobs & feeling inferior about them selves. They don’t even work for this country. They don’t try to be Sri Lankans in any aspect. But try to make others live in the past forever.

Other category is who are here not doing any creative things & blaming others for whole day & expect someone to come & make a miracle for us. When a poor lad from here comes to an international level, they expect him not only make the hair style as they want but head too. What a joke it is. If he don’t play good cricket, then it’s a problem. If he’s not a good team mate it’s a problem. If he is match fixing it’s a problem. But he should have all his rights to cut his hair as they want. What harm does it do to other people? It’s all their deceitfulness. Patriotism is something different.

I remember once I met a daughter of a well known businessman laughed at one of our good cricketer saying he can’t speak good English. I asked her whether she can play cricket. She got shocked & mad with me.

Don’t be scared Malinga. & don’t look back. We need new people. New thinking. New patterns within the frame work of rule of law & fair play. We’ll always be with you. Even though you made up your hair style often, you are original by heart unlike some people who blame at you.

Go Malinga go.


6 comments:

Sam said...

Actually it is THE most critical problem in Sri Lanka. Not a joke.

It is not simply just about a hair style. It is all about power and control.

The most critical problem is the old generation who put us in to this shithole and their control over every aspect of our life. (politics, cultural, religious,etc..)

I was looking at ITN other day, some “Sri Lankan” lady was saying Sri Lankan mothers should wear “Reddi – Hettei” (wrap-on and blouse) and chew “Betel”.

I admire Malinga been brave in this issue. He is carrying burden behalf of all of us belong to the new generation.

Haha! Totally agree with you about the Sri Lankan immigrants.

Hey, after all we are Sri Lankans. Been in other people’s business is in our blood.

Anonymous said...

Did you for a moment think, before you started to blame the blamers of Malinga, if the hairstyle suited him?
I think not!
I think the style he chose is not suitable for the contour of his face. It makes him look like a 'vedda' & unkempt.
…….and I say it with no intention of insult or malice.It is the way I see it

And before you say it, let me say it. ‘Yes’ he has every right to do what he pleases with his hair.
Still, as a public figure he will also have to bear with criticism that goes with it.
BTW, I fall to the first category. I am expat & 'no' I don't do "small supermarket" or "service Station" job & 'no' it is not our favourite topic.
By saying such as the above shows how small minded you are!
But the subject does pop up when Malinga grace our screens.

Fly ball said...

I would like to share my views with our anonymous reader's comments. Thanks for reading & commenting on this. This is open for anyone & any positive or negative comment is most welcome.

My point here is, it is fair to blame Malinga if he has done something wrong. But just because he is a public figure, does he have to go through all the insults? Is it a criminal offence to have a different hair style? Why would he bear the criticism? That’s what I want to say. If people say he looks ugly with that hair, that’s fine. But people discuss about him as if he betrays the country. That I can't agree.

In my article I have clearly says "FEW of the people who work in super markets etc.............". I purposely said few, because it was not meant to all who does the similar jobs. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone & if I did so I am apologizing. I was specific on this group because, I believe what people say should not be "Vadi bana".

If people are expecting others also to be Sri Lankan, first they should at least try to be Sri Lankans by heart & by work. But if someone who's typically trying to be a Victorian citizen & expecting others to be Sri Lankan by hair style, then it’s a joke. I respect the people who do whatever job in whatever country & still feel great about their country & love their country.

But still I stand by my opinion. When Malinga grace our screens we could discuss his bawling, we could discuss his cricket tactics, we could discuss his world ratings, we could discuss his records, we could discuss how to find some more talented crickets like that. But when having so much to discuss about him, if people are blaming him about his hair, I think that shows how small minded they are.

Anonymous said...

I don't get your answer to me. Couldn't understand it at all.
The references you make "If people are expecting others also to be Sri Lankan," etc What does that mean or its relevance to this?
I don't know which country/s you had in mind when you say thing like "few people working in supermarkets etc."
Most people who work in those sort of places in the country I live in, are future doctors, scientists, engineers etc paying their way thru uni.
The use of word "blame" is not correct here. No one is blaming Malinga.Again, I don't know how people in SL or for that matter, SL people overseas (in country/countries you refer to) are talking about him.Are they blaming him for sporting that hairstyle?
In my case & that of my friends, we have a good laugh at his expense when he comes on the screen. We certainly don't "blame" him.
And we are allowed to do that. I too stand by what I said. He is in the public eye & criticism goes with it.
Perhaps that's how I think after years in a western country. I don't view our cricketers as demi-gods as they do in SL.
Cricketers merely provide good entertainment fro us, that's all.

btw, thank for the welcome to your site.

Fly ball said...

Ok ok.. Take it easy pal. Then I’ll put it this way. Even if you are a doctor or a scientist or an engineer or super market guy in what ever country i don’t have a problem with that. What ever job they do, the matter is their attitude.

This post was not just my imagination. It was based mainly on many of the emails received from people working in other countries to our radio channels & news papers. . I don’t know whether you have seen these or not, but if you have read the articles in the papers these days, it wasn't just merry laughing. It’s clearly blaming. Most of these people want Malinga to have a hair style which is suited for Sri Lanka. When there are so much other things & other people to be blamed in this country, why they wanna go behind this talented cricketer's hair style? That’s what I am feeling sad about.

Anonymous said...

No worries.
I don't understand why people have to 'blame' someone for their choice in something.
anyway.......